Best places to find an AFAM
In our last article, we discussed how marrying an AFAM can set you up for global mobility. After marriage, you will be able to apply for a partner visa and potentially switch to a stronger passport.
Our readers loved it.
AFAM fever is taking the Philippines by storm!
LinkedIn influencers are so unserious hahahahaha but also 🧐 pic.twitter.com/8ihK2QxoBd
— KM (@karlitsssssss) July 2, 2023
Getting the AFAM of your dreams is easier said than done. In the first place, where can you even find one?
In this guide, we breakdown the best places to find an AFAM.
Where to find AFAM
No, we have not turned into a dating website.
Web3 Networking Events
With the Philippines becoming a hotbed for Web3 gaming, you’re bound to find an AFAM dabbling in the local scene or working remotely in the country. They seem to go where technology is advancing. No better way to meet a foreigner as not only do you get the love of your life, you get to work in your dream industry.
— YellowPanther 💎 (@yellowpantherx) May 25, 2023
Aside from meeting some foreign cuties, you’ll also learn a thing or two about the Web3 industry. You might even land a life-changing opportunity and get into a Web3 company.
If you can’t make it to the Web3 Community Summit, then head over to Draper Startup House, as they hold a Web3 session every Thursday night called Bitcoin & Beer.
The Philippines has many islands and is surrounded by large bodies of water. Beaches and pristine local islands make up the list of top tourist destinations in the country – Siargao, El Nido, Bohol, and Cebu.
It’s no surprise that foreigners in the Philippines, whether traveling for vacation or staying here more long-term, frequent such places.
If you’re into water activities and love traveling locally, then you’ll most likely run into an AFAM or two.
Here’s a list of water-based hobbies to get into:
- Scuba Diving – not for the light-walleted as scuba diving requires certification and gear. Scuba allows you to appreciate the beauty of what lies under the seas and oceans. Corals, fishes, sharks, turtles, and other marine-life.
- Surfing – if you’re game for a long road trip to Baler, Aurora or San Juan, La Union, then pack your bags for a surf. You’re also bound to meet an AFAM in the many party spots near the beach.
- Free Diving – a more affordable alternative to scuba diving. Dive into the seas while relying on your natural breath. Apo Island in Negros Oriental offers clean blue waters and plenty of turtles and marine life for your senses.
It also makes sense to hang around these surf towns and connect with the working professionals as many Web3 startups have established bases there. The combination of good food, speedy internet infrastructure, and clean white sand has attracted many tech bros.
Certain cities in the Philippines have a higher density of foreigners as they tend to live near their workplace.
Here’s a short guide of AFAM business hotspots:
- PEZA zones– these refer to economic zones for foreign investments. Laguna, Batangas, Subic, and Cebu hold many foreign manufacturing and assembly plants. Foreign managers are typically assigned and living near these areas.
- Makati and Bonifacio Global City – the two central business districts attract many AFAM for work. One can usually find them in cafes and coffee shops such as Wildflour. The popular cafe is a go to for business meetings and focused work.
- Country Clubs – many expatriates take up golfing as a hobby and as a business networking activity. If you’re not into water sports, then this land-based activity may be for you.
Before you start hunting AFAM
Dating a foreigner comes with many challenges. Aside from the religion and language barrier, you also have to deal with an entirely different culture.
Filipinos are known to place high value on family and society. Meanwhile, a foreigner in the Philippines may prioritize individualism and rationalism. The different histories that our countries experience as well as the environments that we are nurtured in, play a big role in our personal value structures.
Philippine society also quickly judges Filipino and AFAM pairings, mostly placing undue criticism on the Filipino side of things. Whether it’s a callout on the finances driving the couple or the desire to move to another country, onlookers will make judgements.
If you can look past these however and happen to find the AFAM of your dreams, then keep on moving. Love transcends many boundaries.
Interested to learn more about Web3 and careers? Make sure to checkout our guides.