Our society has been undergoing a series of innovative developments lately due to the emergence of AI technology.
Not only did it make our tasks more manageable, but it also provided us means to enjoy life outside of work while AI takes care of business.
Sure, one can say that it’s one step closer to a brighter future, but is it applicable to all professions?
Not sure? Then, let’s further talk about it below.
Things you need to consider about AI
Although seeking help with AI is appropriate, it’s not ideal to entirely rely on it, especially when getting information.
Take OpenAI’s ChatGPT, for example. Despite it working like a charm, there are instances that it doesn’t provide you with the intended results.
Why? Because it still needs to develop fully. In fact, it can’t comprehend the latest studies and breakthroughs yet, since it’s designed to collect information that has only occurred during and before 2021.
So for a clear understanding, AI, just like other developments, has drawbacks that we should consider before trusting it as our source.
Consequences of fully relying on AI
Let’s say you were assigned to create and submit a research study particularly related to science.
And oh no! The deadline is approaching, and you still need to input any related research sources in your paper.
As a result, you solely relied on ChatGPT for your RRL, and you completed and passed it. But when the papers got returned, yours got rejected.
There are possible reasons for this, including:
- Age of the research source – According to Southern New Hampshire University, people are highly recommended to use research sources for faster-paced fields, such as science and technology, that are published 2-3 years because these sources are more current and reflect the newest discoveries, theories, processes, or best practices. This reason contradicts the overall functionality of ChatGPT sources, since it mostly provides outdated studies and information that have been already debunked in the past.
- Irrelevant basis for your study – Believe me or not, there are times that ChatGPT gives you information that is entirely different from your research study. And this does not only apply to research studies but also pertains to news and ideas about other things related to your prompt.
So, before you trust AI to do things for you, double-check the results first. If you need help, let’s talk about…
Other sentiments toward Its technology
Aside from its consequences, some professionals in the digital industry also fear AI because of its possible dire effects.
Outcomes like AI replacing humans in jobs, which can lead to unemployment. This is highly unlikely because first:
- AI is not fully developed – As the pioneering generation of experiencing AI, we can see that it still has its limits. Therefore, it can only perform tasks within its intended scope.
- It is not perfect – Just like other technologies and humans, no matter how we create it to be perfect, it still cannot produce flawless results. Now, given that you have high expectations towards AI, which hurts more, a mistake made by AI or a human?
- Authoritative and systematic – Now, in terms of creativity, we know that AI can make it faster. But does efficiency matter in creativity, though? No. Ideas make it valuable, and ideas are much more unique, especially from a human.
- AI technology needs humans – AI is born because of humans, and what do they need in order to operate? Same answer, humans. It requires a backbone to support and function itself, not just hardware but also the brilliant minds of humans.
These are some reasons why they can’t replace humans in jobs, so there’s nothing to be afraid of, yet.
But if we consider it deeply, AI can actually create more jobs if we collaborate instead of competing with it.
So, to fulfill this, let’s discuss…
How you can make it your friend
AI indeed helps make our tasks easier to complete, but let’s not take our guard down to avoid it hurting us.
So, when you’re using AI in your projects, make sure to:
- Double-check information and results given by the AI software to prevent any major mistakes from happening in the progression of your work.
- Fuse your ideas together so as not only to make things faster but you can also justify what’s right, wrong, and lacking based on AI’s ideas, and then create a more logical, comprehensive, and even possibly perfect product.
- Use it for good because AI stores data. Then, it uses this data to think and respond accordingly. So, if it comprises data with bad intentions, then AI technology will also act negatively.
Once all of these are considered, then you’re good to go! You can then finish your tasks with ease and convenience.
AI technology marks significant progress in how far humanity has come – from sticks and stones to digital intelligence.
But as I’ve said before, AI can be a “double-edged sword”, meaning it can produce harm equally as it can produce good.
So, if you’re an AI developer or user, make sure to never abuse it, as it can possibly lead to dire consequences.
Let this article be your reference before you use AI technology for your duties.